Personalization focuses on the needs of specific customer segments by developing tailored shopping experiences that fulfill their desires. Instead of targeting the entire target market as a whole, you cater to individual needs and try to get the most out of your marketing campaign.
Ecommerce personalization is all about creating experiences that last. The key is to show the customers their value.
Let's see a few statistics which validate the importance of personalization.
- According to Epsilon, 80% of customers are more likely to shop from brands that provide personal experiences.
- According to Accenture, 83% of customers are more likely to give their personal data to achieve the benefits of personal experience.
- According to the CMO of Adobe, 66% of customers are more likely not to purchase if the content is not personalized.
These statistics show that eCommerce personalization is imperative to reach out to your target market and make customers brand loyal. Be creative with your approach without giving the customer the feeling that you are following them around everywhere.
Benefits of eCommerce Personalization
- Increase your conversion rate: Personalization can help by growing your email subscription list, increasing your free guides downloads, and decreasing bounce rates.
- Increasing brand loyalty: Customers like to feel important and expect the same from brands. You can target customers at different parts of your sales funnel through personalization. The end goal is to increase customer lifetime value and to make them loyal to your brand.
- Increase your sales: Tailoring content to customers' specific needs eases the decision-making process for them as they feel that the store is built just for them. They can find everything according to their taste, which is an incentive for customers to purchase from you. Hence, increasing your sales.
- Pushes your eCommerce store to stay updated: Customer needs encourage you to cater to their demands. This ensures that your products, website, content, and marketing strategies remain fresh & relevant to the need of the hour. The personalization methods will keep changing with time, and it's upto you to adopt them and boost your ROI.
Methods of eCommerce Personalization
#1 Email Personalization
"Hey Mike, we have something which we know you will love!"
A subject line like that will surely have you opening the email. Personalized email marketing campaigns have a high success rate if implemented accurately.
Just adding a name on the subject line is not enough. The content and the quality of the email need to be good too so the customers take the action you desire them to. You can also send images in the email. You can send the following types of personalized emails:
- New user email: Greet new customers and provide them with the relevant details related to their account. Thank them for choosing you. You can add a CTA in your email to redirect the customer to your website to make the first purchase.
- Shipping and delivery emails: Confirmation emails of the order and payment are necessary. You can personalize these emails too by adding a thank you note.
- Cart abandonment emails: You can incentivize customers to return to their abandoned shopping carts and complete their purchases. Get creative with these emails to make the customer feel valued.
- Feedback and review: Taking customer feedback into account helps you understand what you can do better. Send a personalized email to your customers once they have received their orders. Ask them if they like the product, and you can also provide them some incentive to buy from you again.
- Emails for important days: "Don't forget to redeem your 10% off birthday coupon." Email like these on customers' birthdays, season sales, end-of-season sales, and festival discounts helps build customer loyalty.
- Targeted emails: Tailor your emails according to the customer’s position at the sales funnel. Segment your customers on this basis and send them targeted emails. Offers and product recommendations that are catered to specific customer needs convert more.
#2 Ecommerce Store Personalization
In-store personalization is essential so that when the customers open your website, the customers feel that you have designed the website for them. There are several ways to personalize your eCommerce store:
- Personalized homepage: Your homepage is an adobe of every type of product you sell. But not all products are suited for all kinds of customers. Homepage personalization helps you to deal with this issue. Since you already have tons of customer data, you can build customer personas and utilize them to personalize content.
For instance, Mike, a male customer from the USA, opens up your website. Then you can personalize your homepage for Mike by directly opening to the men's clothing section with the currency set to USD. If Mike wears a size XL, you can default his size to XL every time he purchases clothes, based on his previous purchases.
- Continue shopping: The "Continue where you left" option is great for customers who viewed several items on your eCommerce store but left without purchasing anything.
This way, the customers can remember which products they were browsing through when they had visited your eCommerce store the last time.
- Personalized shopping guides: Based on your customers' search history and location data, you can create customized sections for them.
For instance: "Best Sellers in Illinois," if the customer is in Illinois. "A curated list, just for you," based on the buyer's purchase history. Such a level of personalization enables customers to find what they like in one place.
The picture below is an example of homepage personalization by Amazon.
#3 Product Personalization
Ecommerce homepage personalization is incomplete without personalizing your product recommendations. As eCommerce store owners increasing our sales has always been our goal. Product recommendations help you by getting that sale in the following ways:
- Personalized Product Pages: The best way is to display complementary product recommendations to help you cross-sell and upsell your products.
You can show a section of products like "Your recently viewed," "Others also viewed." For cross-selling and upselling, you can establish a section of "Pair them with these."
- Personalized best-sellers: As mentioned previously, best sellers never go out of style. "Bestsellers handpicked just for you" is where you can put high selling products that suit customers' preferences. You can even rank high selling products according to the customers’ location.
- Personalized incentives: At times, customers might want to buy more products but not purchase them.
In such a scenario, you can offer a discount on a recently viewed product of the customer. "Finish this purchase to get 10% off, Mike." Just as the customer is about to leave, you can incentivize the customer with a discount.
- Product Badges: Products badges have been proven to increase Shopify sales by 15%. Personalize your eCommerce store further with ModeMagic. It is a marketing and content automation tool with product badges, labels, animations, and product list cards. ModeMagic's automation will help you personalize your products with ease.
Take a look at this sample store by ModeMagic, where product badges and labels are highlighting products.
#4 Personalized User-Generated-Content (UGC)
User-Generated Content (UGC) provides evidence that your eCommerce brand is trustworthy. Leveraging the power of UGC also helps customers know about new products.
- Use your Social Media Accounts: You can automate the process of collecting reviews and comments of your customers from Social Media platforms and display it on your eCommerce store. You can also personalize the content further by automating the process of showing your Instagram product pictures on your website.
This way, customers can check your Instagram account and subscribe to your Instagram handle. Another way to display your Social media pictures is by showing your products' most trending social media images on the homepage.
- Transparent reviews: Be transparent and authentic with the Customer reviews displayed on your website. Manipulating comments and putting in fake words might negatively impact your reliability.
While you can't personalize the comments, you can let it be a free space where customers can guide other customers with their purchases. Good feedback will help you outshine. Whereas how you handle poor customer feedback helps to reestablish your credit.
Forever 21 uses Instagram pictures directly on its homepage. How cool is that?
#5 Personalized Chatbots
Chatbots act like personalized shopping assistants to guide customers through the shopping process. AI-based chatbots help in personalizing the messages.
Addressing the user with the first name basis, using the customers' purchase history for the chatbot to display offers and help the customer purchase products: these are a few ways to personalize your customer assistance service.
AI-based chatbots give the experience of a human touch which makes the customer feel valued. If the customer faces some issues, the chatbot can redirect the issue to the customer support team, who can then help solve the problem.
#6 Personalized Retargeting
Customers come across several products in a day, and they are highly likely to forget about your eCommerce store if they are not reminded of it. Retargeting your customers is one of the ways to drive them back to your website and complete their purchases.
You can retarget the customer on social media sites using the customers' previous history or some attractive offers. Automation tools can help you with your retargeting strategies.
Making the retargeting ads as creative as possible is the key to personalizing the content for your customers. It needs to act as an incentive to drive the customer back to your eCommerce store.
#7 Personalized Messaging
Just like personalized emails are essential, personalized messages are also necessary. You can send messages about cart abandonment, discounts, promo codes, special day offers, and shipping updates.
Messages are short and to the point; hence don't need much effort to personalize. These personalized triggered messages help in retargeting customers. SMS Marketing Automation platforms make it extremely easy to personalize your messages.
Wrapping it up!
Personalization is the talk of the hour, and it will soon become a necessary norm for all eCommerce stores to follow. While there are several ways to personalize your content, you must always integrate personalization across your entire sales funnel.
Personalization has an exciting future ahead, and it will be interesting to see what it has next to offer. Till then, let's personalize efficiently and convert more!
Read similar blogs: